The TechGirlz Mission:
TechGirlz inspires middle school girls to explore the possibilities of technology to empower their future careers. We put tech directly in their hands through our free, project based workshops, and aim to create a world where girls have a lifelong passion and confidence in their use of technology throughout their careers.
How can High School students become TechGirlz Teen Volunteers?
- Teens can assist at workshops that are already scheduled to run at local libraries and community centers.
- A teacher can work with a group of high school students to organize and lead a workshop at their local middle school or even at their high school!
- A high school student could organize and lead a workshop at their local middle school.
TechGirlz can provide:
- Experience in developing/planning/hosting multiple tech workshops/events.
- Variety of tech curriculum and lesson plans focused at middle school age level (ages 11 to 14).
- Marketing to our network of middle school girls and communication through our mailing list, newsletters, website event page, and social media
- Flyers to hand out to your local middle school.
- Location contacts, if you would like to run workshops outside of your own high school.
- A list of workshops already scheduled at local libraries and community centers that you can volunteer at.
What are the benefits of doing this?
- High school students gain real world learning experiences, in addition to leadership and presentation skills.
- High school students may be able to use the workshop planning and presentation time for community service hours.
- Middle school aged girls get exposure to tech and education at an age when they are still curious and open to technology education.
- Middle school girls feel confident to take the tech classes in High School.
- Older students become role model for younger students.
- School has an opportunity to expand community outreach.
What is the next step for an individual high school student to volunteer at community events?
- Sign up to be a volunteer here. You will receive a monthly newsletter with a list of workshops happening in your community. You will sign up for the workshop you are interested in helping with and schedule a quick phone call with our Outreach Coordinator to talk you through the process.
What is the next step for a group of High School students that wants to host a workshop?
- Look through TechGirlz workshop plans and find a workshop to lead. You can reach out to your tech teacher to help you with the topic.
- Pick a time, date, and location to run the workshop. Possible locations include your High School, local middle schools, public libraries, community and rec centers, churches, synagogues, mosques, and temples. If you need help finding a location, reach out to TechGirlz and we will help!
- If you would like TechGirlz to help promote your workshop or create a registration page, contact us.
- Practice leading the workshop to peers. Reading through the workshop and just trying the labs isn’t enough.
- Reach out to TechGirlz at any time during the process. We are always available for a phone call to help you get started!