Teen Advisory Board
What is the Teen Advisory Board (TAB)?
The TechGirlz Teen Advisory Board is a group of teen girls in grades 9-12 who want to inspire middle school girls to explore technology. TAB takes an active leadership role in implementing programs, promoting, and advocating for TechGirlz programs in their communities and nationally. Being only a couple of years older than the audience they serve, they will provide near-peer support and mentorship. TAB provides a supportive environment for members to continue their growth and experience in the technology field.
Our Teen Advisory Board Members have led workshops and camps and staffed booths at various events in their community.
Frequently Asked Questions
The bulk of the planning and implementation happens during the TAB meetings, and most of the TAB projects are multi-faceted with many steps, so only those in TAB can work on TAB-related projects.
- TAB is for girls in grades 9-12.
- Applications for each new school year will open in August of each year. Be sure to sign up as a teen volunteer to hear from TechGirlz when applications are open for the new school year. Volunteer registration can be found here.
- When applications are open, you can apply by submitting a TAB application as a new member or returning member (Applications submitted late will not be accepted.)
- Submit references with application.
- Plan and implement annual goals.
- Represent TechGirlz at community events.
- Facilitate and assist at TechGirlz workshops/camps.
- Be featured in promotional videos or articles
- Promoting TechGirlz program and workshops to your local community members
- Insight and experience in complex planning and organization, including some basic understanding of nonprofit policies and procedures.
- Experience a safe and fun environment with other high school girls who share a common interest to meet, network, and form friendships while working on a shared mission.
- Explore creative, practical, and innovative applications to gain tech-related knowledge.
- Balance working in teams and individually, practice creative problem solving, and explore inclusive practices.
- Facilitate, instruct, or assist at a TechGirlz workshop/camp while growing your network.
- Learn from experts in the tech field about the professional world.
TAB members will be selected through an application process and can serve annually (school calendar) on the board while they are high school students. TechGirlz alumnae, and/or current teen volunteer experience is not required, but preferred. Applications will be reviewed by the selection committee.