TechPodz: A TechGirlz Virtual Program
Is Volunteering for TechPodz Right for You?
Ideally, 2-3 TAs will be assigned to one particular pod for a 6-week cycle. During this 6-week cycle, TAs will be assigned to a specific group of girls, and Lead Instructors will fill in to teach the workshop topics. We have laid out particular expectations for TAs that volunteer for TechPodz.
- Commit to an assigned TechPod for a 6 week period
- TechPod workshops will be held once a week for 2 hours live
- Familiarize themselves with workshop plans for the weekly TechPod workshop
- TAs may be assisting on topics they have various experience with
- Arrive 30 minutes before workshop to go over logistics with Lead Instructors
- TAs will support lead instructors during TechPod workshops
- See a detailed description of TA roles here.
- Lead community-building activities and establish positive social learning experiences
- These activities will occur at the beginning of each meeting
- Communicate with TechGirlz about any changes in scheduling
- If the TA is unable to make a meeting, the TA will be responsible for finding a replacement TA
- Only one replacement allowed per 6 week cycle
Volunteer opportunities for the current round of TechPodz is now closed. Sign up for our newsletter to be notified about future podz and/or check out other upcoming volunteer opportunities.
Are TechPodz Right for My Middle School Girl?
Are your middle school girls missing the support of peer relationships and interactive, hands-on activities from supportive mentors? Joining a TechPod might be right for her! Often in an educational setting, students learn better in smaller groups that encourage collaboration, sharing ideas, and increased engagement. Like small group instruction, learning pods are becoming a shared approach during virtual learning to provide an environment that reflects community and teamwork.
Within a TechPodz environment, your middle school girl will connect with other girls her age while learning various tech topics and other skills. Additionally, each TechPod will have assigned Teaching Assistants, so there will always be a familiar face during all TechPod sessions. TechPodz provides student-centered instruction and community while keeping your families safe and healthy.
Are you already in a school-based pod this year? Great! Your entire pod can join as a group! If your pod is less than 15 girls, we may group with you another pod. All meetings will be virtual. Not in a pod? That’s ok! We will also be creating pods made up of individual girls. These girls will get to know each other and possibly even make a friend from a different state!
As a TechPod member, everyone will show up to their TechPod meeting ready to participate, share, and engage in the day’s tech topic once a week for six weeks. Lead instructors and teaching assistants will give their unique insight into the tech world while encouraging them to explore tech themselves. There is a maximum of one absence to be a part of this special program.
- Utilize camera and audio during meetings, when appropriate
- Attend every meeting and communicate at least 24 hours before meeting if an absence is needed.
- Come on time and prepared with necessary materials for the lesson of the day
- Demonstrate respectful demeanor to all participants
- Participate in discussions, programs, and sharing of projects with peers/mentors
- Ask for help when needed throughout the program
- Follow all rules and expectations set by the TAs and Instructor during sessions
- Provide valuable feedback following the program’s completion (TechGirlz Survey)
- Have fun!
Each TechPod group will run 1 day a week for six weeks between March and April. (Dates and times listed on the Registration Form below)