RELEASE: TechGirlz Partners with Drexel University

RELEASE: TechGirlz Partners with Drexel University

TechGirlz Partners with Drexel University’s Charles D. Close School of Entrepreneurship to Host Third Annual Entrepreneur Camp
Camp Designed to Encourage More Girls to Pursue Technology Careers and Leadership Positions, Gives Them Hands-On Experience in Tech-Based Entrepreneurship

May 21, 2014 (Philadelphia) – TechGirlz, a non-profit organization dedicated to empowering girls to be future technology leaders, will host its third annual Entrepreneurship Camp at Drexel University’s Charles D. Close School of Entrepreneurship in Philadelphia from July 7-11.

The weeklong day camp, which will be housed in the Close School’s Baiada Institute for Entrepreneurship, will host 20 girls, ages 11 to 15, who will work together to develop ideas and present a prototype and business plan. Faculty and staff from the Close School of Entrepreneurship, as well as notable Philadelphia area entrepreneurs from Chariot Solutions, AboutOne, RJ Metrics, Slice Communications and others, will guide the girls by providing support and mentorship. The camp is designed to address the fact that women, according to the Kauffman Foundation, lead only 3 percent of all tech startups. Additionally, the Department of Labor forecasts that by 2020 there will be 1.4 million new information technology job openings in the United States; however, universities are expected to produce only enough qualified graduates for 29 percent of these openings, leaving 71 percent unfilled. With a stark underrepresentation of women in this field, it is more important now than ever before to encourage more interest and participation among young girls who may wish to pursue a college education and career in technology.

Screen Shot 2014-05-21 at 5.45.17 PM

“We are thrilled to be partnering with Drexel’s Charles D. Close School of Entrepreneurship to host the third annual TechGirlz camp,” said Tracey Welson-Rossman, founder of TechGirlz and chief marketing officer at Chariot Solutions. “Their support is vital in helping us to break the technology mold and encourage diversity in the space for women. It is an honor to have such a respected institution opening their doors to us to help TechGirlz empower future women leaders in the tech industry.”

Welson-Rossman believes that there is a major disconnect between the market and the tech industry today. Overall, women are responsible for starting only half of the nearly 10 million businesses expected by 2018, but those founding tech-based businesses are just a tiny fraction.

“We are very pleased to be hosting TechGirlz Camp this year,” said Donna De Carolis, the founding dean of the Close School of Entrepreneurship. “Drexel University is a great supporter of entrepreneurship education and mentorship at all levels, from ideation through incubation and launching companies. Personally, I believe in TechGirlz’s mission of empowering today’s young women to be tomorrow’s leaders in technology and innovation. It works in lockstep with the Close School’s mission of creating a supportive academic environment where students are free to pursue their passions and big ideas.”

TechGirlz Entrepreneurship Camp is being sponsored by Chariot Solutions and Novotorium.

About TechGirlz

TechGirlz (www.TechGirlz.org) is here to inspire young women to shatter the statistics. Our aim is to help adolescent girls understand that a future in technology does not necessarily equate to “a boring computer job,” but instead transcends the cubicle into nearly every field imaginable. By encouraging women to participate in science and technology today, as well as providing a solid foundation of peers, mentors and positive role models, we hope to spark innovation, exhilaration and motivation in young women to become tomorrow’s tech leaders.

About Drexel University

Founded in 1891 in Philadelphia, Drexel is the nation’s 14th largest private university and is ranked second among national universities in the U.S. News list of “Up-and-Comers.” Drexel is widely recognized for its focus on experiential learning through its co-operative education program, technology and use-inspired research.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *