Instructions for Obtaining Background Clearances
Effective January 1, 2015, revisions to a Pennsylvania child protection law will require volunteers (any adults serving in unpaid positions) who are individually responsible for the welfare of a child or children, or who will have direct contact with a child or children, to have the background clearances described below.
What clearances are required?
- Report of PA Criminal History from the Pennsylvania State Police (PATCH) – free
- Child Abuse History Clearance from the Department of Human Services – free
- Fingerprint based FBI criminal history clearance submitted through the Department of Human Services – cost $27.50 (TechGirlz will reimburse full-time students once all documentation is received)
- Volunteers who have lived in PA for the last 10 years may complete the TechGirlz Affidavit Form in place of the FBI Check
- Volunteers who have not lived in PA for 10 years are only required to get this until establishing residency in PA (see number 3 below)
How to Obtain PA Mandated Background Clearance Certifications
Pennsylvania State Police Criminal History
- Go to this link: https://epatch.state.pa.us/Home.jsp
- Click the yellow New Record Check (Volunteers Only) and follow directions
- Volunteer Organization Name: TechGirlz
Child Abuse History Clearance from Department of Human Services
- Go to this link: https://www.compass.state.pa.us/cwis/public/home
- Create a new account and follow the directions
- Volunteer Category: Other
- Agency Name: TechGirlz
- Go this link: http://www.pa.cogentid.com/index.htm
- Click “Department of Human Services”
- Click “Register Online” – follow directions, and print receipt
- At the end there will be a link to show where you can go to get fingerprinted
Note: This process will take several weeks and must be completed prior to attending all TechGirlz programs
Print/Scan all background screening documents to a .pdf file format and email to email@example.com. We are required to keep all documents on file.